Global greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions have risen dramatically over the last three decades and are of major concern for our societies. Their malign environmental impact is pushing governments, enterprises, and civil society to reorganize and find cutting edge solutions to meet this challenge.
- The target of our research is to investigate how ICT technology can contribute to the CO2 emission reduction, especially thanks to fixed broadband and transmission technologies.
- One of our key conclusions: fiber is the most energy efficient technology, offering the lowest CO2 footprint. Fiber consumes three times less energy than xDSL and 10 times less than 4G access technology. Based on the data from GeSI (Global e-Sustainability Initiative) Smarter 2030 study, IDATE estimates that the abatement effect of Fiber will reach 1,6 Gt CO2 by 2030.
- The impact of fiber network in CO2 abatement goes beyond the telecom industry. Fiber connections are critical element for the provision of the new digital application by many industries based on either fixed network connection or wireless network. Hence, they would also benefit from deeper and more granular fibre networks to reduce their carbon footprint.
- All industry players should consider how to integrate fiber networks in its CO2 reduction strategy. Fiber per se would influence the CO2 abatement of the industry as a connectivity solution requiring less energy consumption. It can also indirectly influence the more efficient use of energy, heating and water consumption thanks to fiber-based metering devices network.
Table des matières
1. Executive Summary
2. ICT Technology and CO2 abatement
2.1. Global CO2 emissions background and goals to reduce environmental impact
2.1.1. ICT technology can reduce CO2 emission by up to 20%
2.1.2. Governments and organizations set target to reduce carbon emissions
2.2. ICT contribute to reduce carbon emission
2.2.1. ICT is an opportunity to reduce environmental impact
2.2.2. ICT technologies efficiency speed up CO2 reduction initiative
2.2.3. Fiber network is the most energy efficient communication solution
3. Full Fiber Network
3.1. Full-fiber network strategy and global fiber development trends
3.1.1. Full fiber network: a future-proof network infrastructure
3.1.2. Fiber coverage has steadily increased worldwide
3.2. Fiber as a green ICT technology to help with Carbon neutral target
3.2.1. Fiber technology significantly improve the communication networks energy efficiency
3.2.2. Three concrete examples of how Fibre networks reduce carbon footprints
3.2.3. Fiber network is a critical digital infrastructure to support CO2 abatement and its impact goes beyond the telecommunication industry
4. Fiber networks CO2 savings beyond telecom
4.1. How fiber can improve energy efficiency in the industry
4.2. How fiber networks save CO2 in various domains
4.2.1. Smart Home
4.2.2. All optical smart Campus
4.2.3. Smart grids relying on Fiber allowing major CO2 abatement
4.2.4. Smart Manufacturing
5.1. ICT technologies are key drivers to meet the challenge of global CO2 abatement
5.2. Fiber is the most energy efficient technology
5.3. Fibre networks CO2 abatement potential impact all industries
- Référence : P00115A
- Livraison : on the DigiWorld Interactive platform
- Langues disponibles : Anglais
- Tags : carbon emissions, fiber network, sustainable future