The outbreak of the pandemic has led to an inevitable surge in the use of digital technologies and placed broadband networks as a key enabler for various digital applications in home, including teleconference, online education, 4K / 8K ultra-high definition video, VR / AR games, etc.
Since then, the typical requirements of the connected home have evolved. An 8K video stream requires at least 150 Mbps of bandwidth, which is four times more than 4K. Applications such as live streaming, online classes, and live streaming require very low latency, typically 50 milliseconds or less. In addition, home broadband connections need to be capable of supporting multi-service concurrent scenarios. High-quality Internet has become an indispensable part of people’s lives, work, and entertainment.
Knowing that fiber optic cable is the most preferred transmission medium in networks for its superior bandwidth, faster speed, and enhanced reliability, this report aims at providing a view of how fiber to the room (FTTR) technology can become a solution for gigabit connectivity at home. FTTR, which extends fiber connectivity from the “last mile” to the “last meter”, can offer to customers a premium full fiber connection, enabling them to meet the network requirements of various new and future home applications.
Table des matières
1. Executive summary
2. FTTH/B overview in Europe
– Fixed broadband technologies and average down/upload speeds
– Strong success for FTTH solutions: national authorities fully involved in FTTH acceleration in Europe
– FTTH/B homes passed in Europe
– FTTH/B take-up
– European ranking in December 2021
– Forecasts for Europe up to 2026: the whole ecosystem has intensified its efforts towards full-fiber connectivity, accelerating both deployments and adoption
– Key trends identified in Europe
3. Why in-home broadband is important
– Home Broadband is moving from the entertainment center to the multifunctional center
– The demand for gigabit broadband has soared
– Enriching new broadband scenarios require enhanced home broadband capabilities
– Households are regularly confronted to the problem of indoor WiFi network coverage
4. What is FTTR (Fiber to the Room)?
– What is FTTR?
– Two technical FTTR solutions
– FTTR technology advantages
– FTTR technology enhances the quality of in-home broadband…
– FTTR solutions help telecom operators increase their offer differentiation
– FTTR deployment in new and old buildings
– FTTR for Home use case
– FTTR for SME use case
5. Other in-home broadband technologies
– WI-FI Mesh Network
– Broadband over Powerline (BPL)
– Light Fidelity (LiFi)
– Comparaison of different in-home network technologies
6. Forward-looking of FTTR technology
– Forward-looking and perspectives of FTTR technology
- Référence : M00062MRA
- Livraison : on the DigiWorld Interactive platform
- Langues disponibles : Anglais
- Tags : fiber networks, fiber optic, FTTR, fiber connectivity, broadband, FTTH, in-home broadband, FTTH/B, fiber to the room, gigabit connectivity