This report gives an overview of the Internet access market in South Africa today and of the numerous innovative approaches developed to catch up.
Faced with high data prices, Internet access has failed to deliver its full promises in South Africa. Only 10% of households were connected at home in 2017 while just over half of the population accessed the Internet over mobile.
The report addresses the pricing and affordability issues and describes the main innovative models aiming at promoting ‘Internet for All’ in South Africa.
Table des matières
1. The Internet access market in South Africa today
2. Pricing and affordability of Internet access in South Africa
3. Encouraging innovative models to promote ‘Internet for all’ in South Africa
4. Summary and conclusions
Table des figures
• Fixed Internet connections in South Africa, 2015-2018
• Households with access to the Internet at home in 2017
• 4G coverage and smartphone penetration in South Africa, 2015-2018
• Mobile data traffic, 2015-2018
• Mobile prepaid data prices in African countries in USD, 500 MB
• Highest differentials between per MB prices of smaller and larger bundles
• Market shares of SA MNOs, at year ends
• Initiatives based on various principles
- Référence : M19590MRA
- Livraison : on the DigiWorld Interactive platform
- Langues disponibles : Anglais
- Tags : Internet access, fixed Internet, mobile Internet, South Africa